September 30, 2005

I'm going to jail

Well, not really. But late last night I had a major freak out because I remembered that I had received a jury summons a while back and that the call in date for me was September 30. (Here, we have a call-in system where you call a number or check the website to see if you need to report to court the following day.)

This is my first time. I made it 20 years without being summonsed. So, I think it is fair to say that I don't really know what the hell I am doing. I figured I better look at the summons and figure it out - figuring that it can't be that difficult to figure out where to go and when to go and what to wear and crap. I'm a little discombobulated, you can see, as evidence by my abuse of the word 'figure' in that last sentence. No biggie, I'll just look at the summons and demystify the entire process and think no more of it until call-in time (5:00 pm today).

So, around 11 o'clock last night I looked for it. I looked through my stack of mail. I looked through my file cabinet. I looked through the bag of crap waiting to be shredded. I looked in my backpack. I can't find the freaking summons. Anywhere. Visions of orange jumpsuits danced in my head.

I know! I must have taken it to work. It's on my desk somewhere. Well, I am at work now and I can't find it anywhere.

BUT. Thankfully, I have mad organizational skillz (I am so putting that on my next resume!). When I received the summons way back in July or August, I wrote the details on my calendar in my email program. I still can't find the summons, but I do know the number to call, my juror id, my group number and the address of the court where I will report should I be required to report. I don't have my spiffy juror badge that came with the summons, but I think I can get one there if I need to.

Whew. That was close. The thing about jail is that I would miss my husband too much. And I doubt they serve Pumpkin Spice Lattes there. Or do they? It is Newport Beach after all. Nothing would surprise me there. They may even give the women inmates manis and pedis. If so, I am breaking the law at my first opportunity.

 
 

13 Comments:

At 10:19, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You don't necessarily get a jail term for skipping jury duty but I think they can fine you something like $2000.

 
At 10:23, Blogger Anita said...

That's what I thought! But if they fined me and I couln't pay it then I would eventually go to jail. =( If I EVER go to jail, I want it to be for like punching the president in the face or something cool like that. =)

 
At 13:52, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've always thought that jury duty should be voluntary. I mean, are there really that many people that can actually get away from work/kids/life to do it? I've been called three times and got out of it each time because of "financial/childcare hardship". One would think that they'd stop sending me summons, but our blessed court system doesn't seem to get the point. Ah, well.

 
At 14:14, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can I just geek out here and minute and say how much I love jury duty? I think it's because I'm all about feeling as though I'm participating in the system. Never mind how deeply flawed that system is; I just want a piece of it. Have fun, Q!

 
At 14:47, Blogger Anita said...

Oh, I should add that I have always wanted to serve on jury duty. I am a geek like that too! I was really excited when I got my summons. That's one reason that I can't believe I have misplaced it!

 
At 16:10, Anonymous Anonymous said...

mmmmmmmm....pumpkin spice lattes......

Maybe you'll get off with only having to wear one of those ankle bracelets that Martha has made so chic....

 
At 19:28, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've always WANTDE to be called- I got called once and the case was thrown out within about 4 minutes. Too much Law & Order...

 
At 00:33, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pumpkin spice lattes have not yet made it to my local Starbucks, but trust me-I'm on the lookout!

//Helen
Everyday Stranger

 
At 11:08, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pumpkin Spice Lattes? You're KILLING me.

 
At 11:09, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pumpkin Spice Lattes? You're KILLING me.

 
At 11:10, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Duh. Having technical difficulties.

 
At 11:10, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I doubt jail would be fun. Getting on a jury with a kewl trial? That would be okay.

 
At 12:25, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Meg... I'm right there with you. I am always really disappointed when I don't get picked for jury duty.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home