November 8, 2005

Off Hiatus

The world's shortest hiatus is hereby declared over. For now. Once again, I've jumped the gun. I thought I'd take a break but then I realized that even if I post a quick, meaningless post, I still like to post. Sue me. I change my mind! A lot.

To illustrate my fragile state of mind, I'd like to tell you a story of my Friday night. After a long-ass boring day at the cubicle farm, I made my way to the bus stop, then to the train station. I purchased my ticket, dutifully, and waited on the platform, patiently. Mr. Q was going to pick me up at our hometown train station at a specified time.

The train was five minutes early, but according to the schedule that was to be expected from time to time. On a side note, this is an incredibly unfair arrrangement for people like me who are perpetually tardy. How can I be expected to show up early when it is near impossible for me to even show up on time anywhere? Damn schedules.

So, the train stopped and I followed the crowd of waiting train passengers, and climbed aboard. As I made my way to a seat, I noticed that the train was unusually comfy, unusually packed with travelers, and unusually large. I sat down and heard the "all aboard, next stop blah blah blah" announcement. I was momentarily panicked and the girl across the aisle pulled her iPod earphone out and asked me if I was okay. The train is moving at this point.

Me: "Where does this train go?"
Her: "San Diego." (which incidentally is where Mr. Q works and was driving out of at that moment.)
Me: "Does it stop in San Clemente?"
Her: "Yeah, I think so."
Me: "Whew, for a minute I thought I got on the wrong train."

I got back up and leisurely wandered downstairs. That is when I saw the bar and knew: I WAS on the wrong train. I normally ride a commuter train, which unfortunately does not have a bar. I was apparently on an AMTRAK. We had already passed one stop and were hurtling at alarming speed toward the next station. Holy Crap!! Frantically, I raced upstairs to find anyone who could help me.

A conducter was taking tickets (again, this doesn't happen on a commuter train) and I rushed up to him.

Me: "I think I got on the wrong train!"
Announcer: "Now arriving at San Juan Capistrano."
Conductor: "Where are you going?"
Me: "San Clemente!"
Conductor: "You are on the wrong train."
Me: "Should I get off here?"
Conductor: "Unless you want to go to San Diego..."

I didn't hear all that he said, because I had to run back downstairs and exit the train within seconds.

So, now I am in a city 10 miles from where my husband was waiting for me. I called and he laughed and got back on the road.

All of this took place in the span of about 12 minutes. And I had to pee.

The moral of this story: If you don't pay attention, you could miss your destination.

 
 

3 Comments:

At 10:42, Anonymous Anonymous said...

nice job! hahahahah

next time, if you don't notice fast enough and you're already in SD, give me a call and I'll give you a ride home.

 
At 11:36, Anonymous Anonymous said...

haha Welcome back! :)

The only time I've ridden on trains (except for the kind at the zoo ;) was during a couple of trips to Europe. I found the experience to be pretty confusing and I worried every time I got on that I was on the wrong train (which did happen once, in Switzerland...freaked me right out).

 
At 07:02, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A few years ago, I did that twicw in one day; once going to work and then going home. It had never happened before and it hasn't happened since.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home