December 8, 2005

Imagine









As everyone in the civilised world no doubt knows, today is December 8th and marks the 25th anniversary of John Lennon's death. I was only 12 years old when he died, but I remember it clearly. The impact he has had on my life is hard to articulate. The impact he had on rock 'n roll and the world at large is pretty evident, I think.

No matter what you think of him as a musician, an activist or a person, it's hard to imagine what pop culture would be without him. I will not pretend he was perfect, or a saint, but he was passionate and you can't dispute that!

If you've read this blog for a while, you probably know I have quite a fixation on John Lennon, both his music and him as a person. I can't fully explain it. He was complex, contradictory, and a malcontent. But he was beautiful and brilliant, to me. I think he was a genius. I still listen to his music. All the time. And it still makes me feel a certain way. It makes me laugh, it makes me cry, it makes me think.

I am sure if he was still alive, he'd have something to say about what's going on today. I imagine he'd be as outspoken as ever. I would like to think he'd be making a difference. Who knows. But his messages still live on. And they are as appropriate as ever.

Imagine.
Give peace a chance.
Happy Christmas, War is Over (if you want it).

 
 

3 Comments:

At 11:27, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was dreaming of the past, and my heart was beating fast.

I'm just a jealous guy.

 
At 16:49, Anonymous Anonymous said...

John was one of the good ones. RIP

 
At 08:38, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If he was alive today, he would definitely be making a difference. RIP, John.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home