December 2, 2005

Love at first sight & other mysteries of the universe

If you are not a fan of super gushy, extra mushy, nauseatingly sweet posts that talk about "true love" and crap like that, then I suggest you just move on.

This is one of those posts.

If, however, you want to read about one of the greatest mysteries of the universe, then, by all means, continue reading below.



Fourteen years ago, December 3rd, 1991 to be exact, I saw Mr. Q for the very first time. Our eyes met and I got butterflies. Pretty soon we became friends. The rest, as they say, is history.

Do you think it's weird that I still have the skirt I wore that day? It's a red, pleated skirt from the Limited. It still fits.

We met at work. He was in college. I was separated from my husband and living with a friend of mine. I didn't know what the future had in store for me.

I thought we were totally wrong for each other at that time.

But, I thought he was the most beautiful, gorgeous, sexy guy I had ever seen.

I still have the name tag I wore at that job.

His license plate said "WENDEL G", which was one of my favorite REM songs. I used that as my reason to talk to him the first time.

I still love that song.

When he would laugh, I could hear it all the way across the room or the building. His smile lit up the entire place.

I always looked forward to work on the days I knew he would be there.

A month after we met, he went with me to register for my very first college classes. He loaned me an art history book so I didn't have to buy it. I am notorious about not returning things that I borrow.

That book is sitting on our bookshelf right now.

Throughout the years we've been through some strange stuff together, apart, parallel to each other, but the thing we always had was a friendship.

It's just a bonus that I think he's brilliant and beautiful. And he feels the same about me. (Or so he says!)

So, happy anniversary to Mr. Q - the man I fell in love with the first time I saw him 14 years ago, the man I became good friends with, the man I tried to push away, and now the man who makes every day worth living. Still.


I love you.









 
 

10 Comments:

At 15:43, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Many, many congratulations! That is a wonderful story... really inspiring. I wish you more happy years than I can count - you both deserve them.

 
At 16:02, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations!

Personally, I don't believe in love at first site, but hey! if it worked for you, then good for you!

P.S. Does Mr Q. remember today is that special anniversary date? Or do you have to remind him?

 
At 16:57, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sweet! Hope you guys have (had?) a great day.

 
At 21:21, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post. It is reading posts like this that give me hope.

 
At 08:34, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awww...just...awww ;-)

 
At 07:00, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awww.....that's such a sweet story. Congratulations!

 
At 18:36, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy anniversary! I love a good mushy post.

 
At 10:29, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I still have the shirt I wore when I met Misty five years ago. It hasn't fit for most of the time I've known her, but I'll never get rid of it. Too sentimental. Every once in a while, she still wears the sweater she wore on our first date.

 
At 19:54, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Throughout the years we've been through some strange stuff together, apart, parallel to each other, but the thing we always had was a friendship....

So, happy anniversary to Mr. Q - the man I fell in love with the first time I saw him 14 years ago, the man I became good friends with, the man I tried to push away, and now the man who makes every day worth living. Still."

Hmmn... I am a little confused here. Are you both married to each other? If not, a love that's 14 years long and not developed into a marraige is something unique. How do you both maintain as "just friends"?

Just curious. :)

 
At 18:13, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great story. although i find it a little curious that you say you didnt think you were right for each other at first and that it was love at first site. ;) but cute nonetheless

 

Post a Comment

<< Home