February 9, 2006

It was 20 years ago today...




I was going to write a wonderfully poignant post today about how my son turned 20 years old today.

Well, it turns out that is harder than I thought.

Twenty years can pass by in the blink of an eye. Twenty years can also seem like a lifetime ago. I have 20 years worth of stories and memories and pictures of this boy. He was a beautiful baby, born ten years too early, but a week late. He was much bigger than anyone thought he would be (8 lbs 1 oz) and I didn't even know positively that he was a boy until he was born, although we all seemed to know intuitively. Labor was short and sweet and drug-free. He was the best baby ever.

His dad was in the Navy but Josh was born on an Air Force base. Now he is in the Army. I have a thing for the military, apparently, and didn't even know it!

I am sure it goes without saying but I'm going to say it anyway: he is just a beautiful young man. I know I could have done a lot of things differently but, as I've discovered, life rarely turns out the way you plan it anyway. Sometimes it turns out better.

My heart is filled with love and pride for the boy that I brought into the world on February 9, 1986 at 10:21 a.m.

At the same time, there is a hole in my heart the size of the Grand Canyon because he is so far away.

I love you, Josh. I believe the world is a better place because you're in it. I know my life is better because of you.

I am so proud of you. Thank you for giving me so much love and so much joy. I miss you like you wouldn't believe and I'd give anything just to be able to take you to dinner to celebrate your birthday today. I know you are safe and happy and I know you are on a great path. I love you with all my heart.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

 
 

7 Comments:

At 12:46, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Josh!!! And "Good Job" Mom!

 
At 14:28, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy b-day Josh!

(And geez, Ms. Q....I graduated high school in '86. I'm feeling really damn old right now.)

Cheeky prof

 
At 14:29, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You always write so gushingly and lovingly about your family, that it makes me wish I was part of it.

Happy birthday to Josh and his mom (after all this is your day too, without you, there wouldn't be a Josh).

 
At 15:14, Blogger Anita said...

Thank you all so much!

Mooalex, Just thanks! You always know just what to say!

Cheeky, I feel older! And we are the same age.

Richard, you are so nice. I would adopt you but I can barely afford the kids I have =S.

 
At 16:29, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aw, that's just a lovely post! Happy, Happy Birthday Josh!!

 
At 17:02, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy birthday to Josh! Sounds like you're lucky to have each other. :)

 
At 06:57, Anonymous Anonymous said...

well, that is a beautiful post.

(and wow, i would never have guessed you had a 20 year old son!)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home