June 22, 2006

WaPo *hearts* me

My darling, fabulous, stellar, and most amusing husband just accused me of spending all day on this blog. I would like the record to state that this post was not even conceived of until 3:30 p.m. today!! HA! So, there. And I have checked my stats NOT EVEN ONCE since Monday. Brotha, pleeeze.

Abrupt topic change (and the point of this post): I was dinking around on the internet doing a little research on my son's unit - wait, that sounds terribly wrong! - on his Army brigade thingy. Because they were scheduled to go to Iraq very soon - like within the next month. (If you don't know already, I have a son. He's 20 years old and he is in the Army and stationed in Germany. And, I also know I look too hot young to be his mother! Thank you very much for saying so!] Well, I am sure that you all think I am soooo well-informed, because I'm a pretentious, psuedointellectual snob who leads you to believe that, and while I do read Shakespeare's Sister every day, I really spend most of my time at Perez Hilton and Go Fug Yourself and far less time at the Washington Post. [I am only partially kidding.]

Well, you won't believe this article that posted only 3 hours ago*!! Pentagon weighs modest troop reduction in Iraq. Yeah, yeah, yeah, haven't we been hearing that since last year or the year before? I don't really believe everything I read and I am highly skeptical of the motivation for publishing such stories, but this article makes me want to believe!! The reporter, Will Dunham, was all "modest reduction of troops" (and by modest, I think they meant "miniscule") blah blah Pentagon blah blah Iraq blah blah reduction blah blah blah. And then! The news I've been waiting for!!! In the next to the last paragraph:

One brigade -- the 2nd Brigade of the Army's 1st Infantry Division, based in Schweinfurt, Germany** -- that was due to have deployed to Iraq this month already has been put on hold by the Pentagon. One official said it was possible that brigade could be sent into Iraq in the fall for a slightly shorter stay than the usual yearlong deployment that Army units serve.[Emphasis mine.]


*as of right now.
**My son's brigade!! Yesssssssss.

Disclaimer, I would normally never tell you any information about my son's unit (ha) but this was in the Washington Post so it's really public information given out by an unnamed Pentagon official. (My next cat will be named "A source close to the Pentagon").

Thanks WaPo for making my day.

 
 

9 Comments:

At 19:06, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is very encouraging news, Q! I will keep my fingers crossed for you that his feet never touch Iraqi soil. :)

 
At 19:09, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's wonderful news! I'll also keep my fingers crossed for you all.

 
At 04:00, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's great news. With any luck, delayed and slightly shorter stay will turn into something more mother-friendly like not going at all.

 
At 05:47, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome, awesome, awesome news! May lots of good mojo come your way!

Now, if I may. I used to be a faithful reader of Perez Hilton, until I discovered MK at DListed. It is celebrity gossip and snark at its absolute finest. Now I'm all, Perez WHO? Please to check Dlisted out!

 
At 05:57, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is fantastic! I'm so happy to hear that!

 
At 08:30, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh it is such a relief to read something encouraging about the war.

 
At 15:16, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Let us hope the good news continues.

 
At 20:08, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, that is so good to hear. My fingers are crossed!!!

 
At 23:38, Anonymous Anonymous said...

#1 Lurker writes:
(Breathing a sigh of semi-relief)

I too have a son in the military much like you..an only son as a matter of fact. I am happy to hear this good news for you. I tell you that I can totally relate. I am very proud of my son and what he is doing, but I have to tell you this, I'd be happy if he were just flippin' burgers at jack-in-the-crack right now.

I just want his children (when he has them)to read about this iraq conflict in their history books someday.
e.h.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home