October 24, 2006

On Cheating

OK, not what you think.

You know that I "quit" smoking yesterday . Except I didn't. I am a cheater and smoked last night. And again this morning. So, I suck.

I am not awesome.

I am a cheater.

I suck.

I do have some good reasons to use smoking as a coping mechanism. Reasons such as: apartment drama, my son is in Iraq, my cell phone got shut off, it's my mom's birthday and I can't call her, etc. These things stress me out a teensy bit. I really just need to find a new way to cope.

I know! Food! Yes, I will stuff my face until my ass is the size of Rhode Island! I have Ben & Jerry's in the freezer. I have a box full of cookies. The vending machine is well-stocked with Ding Dongs and Hohos. I can totally do this! Sounds like a good plan, doesn't it?

Like I said, I suck. (If you tell me to eat carrots and celery, go ahead and punch yourself in the face for me.)


Anyway, I don't completely suck. I do have an awesome friend. Bogey totally brough me macaroons from Mike's Pastry in Boston!!! Do you know how cool that is? These macaroons are delicious. Maybe they will help me quit smoking.

Labels: ,

 
 

6 Comments:

At 10:34, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I quit smoking 4 1/2 years ago... and I cheated at least a handful of times... just don't stop trying to quit and you'll be fine. Oh, and drink lots of water.

Good luck!

 
At 15:34, Blogger jofo said...

you know, a slip here and there is bound to happen. the key thing is to not just say, 'oh well, i messed up. i might as well go whole hog.' that's what happened to me. i'd slip and then decide to smoke a pack a day until the following monday.

and i won't tell you to eat carrots and celery. green is not always your friend during times of such stress. water is good. so is sweating. it flushes the nicotine out of your system more quickly.

and since you had to pick a state to represent what you think your ass might look like, at least you picked the smallest state. right?

 
At 15:39, Blogger Richard said...

I don't think you realize how lucky you are. Some of us, would give our left kidney (and maybe more) to experience some sort of strong drive, desire, need and urge.

Just think how bland lives like mine are where if I don't eat a chocolate (or chips, or cookie, or cake or cashews or etc…) I am not going to start clawing the wallpaper or nibbling on the doilies.

"It's easy to quit smoking. I've done it hundreds of times." - Mark Twain

 
At 18:36, Blogger Jesse said...

heh, I bite my finger when angry/stessed.

It hurts.

 
At 07:43, Blogger Ty said...

This may not be a route you want to take, but it may help. My father quite smoking in January. Hasn't smoked since. He smoked for about 45 years. But the thing that did it was his doctor prescribed Wellbutrin (Zyban is actually the one marketed for quitting smoking but they are the exact same drug, except Wellbutrin will be covered by insurance if your doc says you need it for depression or anxiety or something, and Zyban won't be if it's to help quit smoking). Wellbutrin/Zyban helps to prevent the cravings which is why it works. It may also help you deal with the stress of your son being in Iraq, etc. which would help you feel fewer urges to smoke.

It is really a pretty incredible drug. My dad only used it for one month (and then didn't refill his presciption like he was supposed to...don't do that part!! Do what the doc says!) and that was all he needed to quit. We are all so proud of him. It was such a big part of who he was and he let it go for his health.

You can do it too!!

 
At 13:09, Blogger Suldog said...

Don't be too hard on yourself for backsliding. I did so a couple of times before I was able to quit cocaine completely. That was over 15 years ago now.

I still smoke, though. I'm rooting for you and maybe you can root for me when I finally do it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home