October 20, 2006

Powerful stuff

I've been cynical, jaded, and apathetic lately. Especially in regards to politics. I hate both/all parties at this moment. I don't know who I'm going to vote for yet. I even considered not voting. Because I figured it really doesn't matter. As long as our government is beholden to $pecial intere$t groups and as long as money talks, we really aren't going to be represented honestly. The whole lot of them will get more and more fat and corrupt until the system crushes itself with its own weight and implodes.

We are way too comfortable as a whole nation for any kind of revolution, but there has to be some small thing we can do to send a message. I just don't really know what it is. I only know that I hate seeing them all (George W. Bush, et al) not being held accountable. The whole thing just makes my head hurt.

And the worst part is we let it happen. We are pathetic. We got us into this fucking mess, so we must be able to get us out of it. The hardest part is that it only takes one second to make a mistake but a lifetime to fix it or try to put it back the way it was.

This is a rare political post from me (hat tip to Mikey.) The whole thing deserves to be read. I know I am preaching to the choir here, but this piece is one of the most eloquent things I've read in a long time.

Back in 2002, Arizona Cardinals safety Pat Tillman quit the NFL to serve in the U.S. Army with his brother, Kevin. Pat was killed April 22, 2004, in Afghanistan. Kevin was discharged in 2005. And now, Kevin has this to say:


It is Pat’s birthday on November 6, and elections are the day after. It gets me thinking about a conversation I had with Pat before we joined the military. He spoke about the risks with signing the papers. How once we committed, we were at the mercy of the American leadership and the American people. How we could be thrown in a direction not of our volition. How fighting as a soldier would leave us without a voice… until we get out.

Much has happened since we handed over our voice: [read on...]




You have a voice, use it. I will use mine. November 7.

Labels: ,

 
 

3 Comments:

At 11:24, Blogger jofo said...

sometimes i can't help but think that the intent of all parties is for the system to totally implode. then they could just usher in an era of martial law. sure, it's unlikely to happen, but i often wonder if it's not just what our 'leaders' are aiming at.

 
At 19:35, Blogger Beth said...

Wow, great letter by Kevin Tillman. I felt during the last election that the reason the Republicans won was not because more people supported the Republican cause, but because not enough people got to the polls. It really sucks that things have to get this out of control for people to care. I hope people realize that their vote matters and that they exercise their right on Election Day.

 
At 15:31, Blogger Richard said...

I would never condone not voting.

Either go and vote for someone or spoil the ballot.

My own voting record is horrible, I have never successfully voted for a candidate or political party. sigh.

I always end up voting for the loser. bleh.

Incidentally, in Canada, it is illegal to eat your ballot (straight goods from the Elections Canada FAQ).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home