October 10, 2006

School Daze

Tuesday is school day for me. I have to cram all of my office work in before 2:30 p.m., get on the freeway, drive for about an hour, park (ack!), hike across campus and plop down in my seat (front row, please!! Yes, I am a nerd!) and then sit and listen to lecture. For the next 6 hours.

Oy! What a pain in my arse!! Seriously.

I haven't been talking about school this semester but that's mostly because all of my "free" time (at least the free time not spent making out with somebody) is pretty much consumed with school work. That includes, reading, writing, research, papers, and studying for midterms. Shockingly, for me, I actually have to study now. Is that just me getting old and dumb, or is upper division really that much harder? (rhetorical q.)

Since you are dying to know what I am studying--What? You're not??--here's my class list for Fall, all TWO classes!: California Cultures (zzzzzzzzzzzz, except the sex part), and Hollywood in America: Film as a Cultural Document (w00t!! especially the sex part). I have a professor in the Film class who I've told you about in a roundabout way. I would follow him around the country in a VW van if I had to. He's AWESOME. And an authority on sexuality in 19th and 20th century America.

I do believe I've found my area of focus! Did you pick up on what it could be? I mean, maybe. There are many areas I lerve, such as consumer culture, the built environment, and suburban/urban studies, but this semester has particularly inspired some academic passion in me! And perhaps a little bit of personal passion. I even found some Vintage Erotica films for sale that I'd love to get my hands on. For research purposes only, of course.

Anyway, so I am a pop culture geek and aficianado and I love 20th century American studies so this semester has been fantastic.

Not so fantastic? The commute and cramming two classes into one night. But, eh, somebody's got to do it. The bad news is that, in order to graduate next December like I want to, I'll have to take a full load next Spring and Fall!! Can we say Mental Breakdown?!!

Well, it's a small price to pay to be the first college graduate in my family!! Plus, I'll have an even bigger mental breakdown if I have to be a secretary for the rest of my life.

(Erm, Does anyone know the winning lottery numbers this week? Because that could really simplify my life!)

Labels:

 
 

3 Comments:

At 16:03, Blogger Richard said...

Now you are writing much more like your normal self - or at least the self I had come to know and love.

Two three hour classes sounds brutal. My worst day back in college was a 9 hour day that had 6 back to back classes. I was under the delusion that such a long day would prepare me for the work world. My mistake, nothing can prepar you for the tedium of working.

 
At 17:01, Blogger Beth said...

Things may seem completely insane right now but it will be totally worth it when you are done. I thought I was going to lose it studying for the CPA exam, but it was such a HUGE weight lifted off my shoulders when I passed. You're smart, you can do it no problem!

 
At 04:25, Blogger Craig said...

I think I heard that they were 4 8 15 16 23 42. Try playing those. Maybe you'll win big.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home